Young Entrepreneur of the Year Awards (Shell LiveWire 2013)
The same day as the Shell LiveWIRE Conference 2013 (read more: here), Shell also put on an evening event for the finals of their annual Young Entrepreneur of the Year award. This was held at the same venue, the Altitude 360 suite at Milbank Tower London, but was an evening affair and a bit more dressy (I noted a particular shift in the demographic from young entrepreneurs in casual/relaxed fit, to a lot more senior attendees, suits, VCs, business angels, investors and the like). Luckily I managed to blag myself an invite to the evening event earlier on in the day so left, got some food and came back in time for the show.
The Shell Young Entrepreneur of the Year 2013 awards were hosted by Saira Khan, presenter on CBBC & BBC, and also a previous runner-up on The Apprentice. Saira now also runs her own natural skincare business, miamoo (http://www.miamoo.co.uk/).
Some of my key notes/take-aways from the evening:
Ed Daniels, Chairman, Shell UK – talking about the US: “The fear of failure is just not as present as it is in this country”.
Guest Speaker: Andrew Davenport, CEO, Youth Business International:
- GEW – Started in the UK, now led by Youth Business International.
- Vast majority of new businesses are started ‘in-family’, with family capital and family support.
- Conversion rate (aspiring startups : startups launching); ~50% in the UK, compared to ~80% in east Asia.
The 8 finalists of the Shell livewire Young Entrepreneur of the Year 2013 award each gave a 1 minute elevator pitch to the audience:
- Matt Dusting – M24 (http://www.m-24.co.uk/)
- Jennifer Duthie – Skribbies (http://www.skribbies.com)
- Daniel Eha – Pure Pet Food (http://www.purepetfood.co.uk/)
- Jermaine Hagan – Revision App (http://www.revisionapp.co.uk/)
- Tom Harrington – We Sold (http://www.wesold.co.uk/)
- Jacob Hill – The Lazy Camper (http://www.thelazycamper.co.uk/)
- Arthur Kay – Bio Bean (http://www.bio-bean.com/)
- Rajeev Nayar – FixFlo (http://www.fixflo.com/)
Guest Speaker: 2012 winner, Ben Allen – Oomph! Wellness. 15k people now benefitting from Oomph! services. Massive benefits in care: 28% reduction in falls in their (associated) care homes.
Guest Speaker: (Chair of Final Judges): Helene Martin Gee, Founder, Pink Shoe Club. “Not there to judge their businesses – there to judge them as Entrepreneurs”. Characteristics of all the finalists: Dedicated, Resilient, Passionate.
Shell LiveWIRE Innovation Award >> Arthur Kay, Bio Bean (http://www.bio-bean.com/)
WINNER: Shell LiveWIRE 2013 Young Entrepreneur of the Year award: Jermaine Hagan, Revision App (http://www.revisionapp.co.uk/)